Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thank you Homestuck

I feel odd. Like I should say something. To explain myself... This is gonna be a long one, guys. And really hard for me.


So you probably already know this, but I recently got into Homestuck. I don't even know how to start, so I'll just enclose here the video that got me into it.


I saw that and, you guys already know that I was a huge fan of anime at the time (especially One Piece), and I thought to myself that, "This is nothing like an anime." And yet, the drawing styles brought me in again and again. About a week after I still hadn't read Homestuck and yet I had watched so many videos, I knew so many inside-jokes and was mesmerized by the fanfictions about characters I didn't even know about then. My starting OTP was John/Karkat and this was before I knew anything much about them. The very same day, it changed into Dave/Karkat, because I quickly found out that John/Karkat was really mainstream and unusual pairings tickled my fancies more than the obvious ones.

Anyway, pairings aside, I started reading Homestuck around after that and it went really slow for me. I started reading it and I actually more than once thought that this isn't worth it. The text was too complicated, more so than any book I've read for school. The drawings were... not anime-ish, but they were cute, although I couldn't actually put the video above and this picture below together.




I just couldn't see how these characters could portray something so emotional as that video there.

There were many pauses I took, because I just couldn't read on. The pesterlogs were so hard to read.

 http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001935

Go fucking there and push the button that says; show pesterlog. Try to read it! I mean, that shit is fucking hard to follow, especially if you know only that much about Homestuck. Some of those words are made up.

Anyway, I kept reading it. And then when I was about to give up, I found a youtube account that reads the whole Homestuck for you. I was happy and it was easier for me to finally get everything! I understood everything since the voice-actors read it out.

So then came summer and I didn't get to read or watch or anything about it. Until I actually started downloading the videos to my iPod and then I could watch it anywhere. 

Now, when summer's over, I went back to mspaintadventures and started reading it myself again. I think my vocabulary has really flown off the charts. And it makes me happy. Everything about Homestuck makes me happy.

But I've felt... bad for the last couple of weeks now. I don't know how else to explain it, but I actually acknowledge that Homestuck has taken over my life. And in a lot more suffocating way than One Piece ever did. Not in a bad way though.

You can already see where this is going, amirite?

You know there's nothing that gets between my love for One Piece, right? Well, the past few weeks, I've felt pretty ill, because I'm actually thinking that Homestuck might've passed One Piece at some point now. Because I am actually feeling emotions that I might've felt with One Piece, but... while with One Piece I feel those once every 20 episodes (sometimes more, like the Water 7 arc for example), then Homestuck gets you up in the high and never lets you fall back down again. It holds you on the edge of the seat forever. Practically, what I'm trying to say is, that once you get past the first 3 acts, you just get sucked in and... and you can never get back out of it. And if you do somehow get out of it, then you're changed for life. It changes you too much.

I guess, and this is hard for me to admit with me being a hardcore fan of OP for at least 3 years now, but Homestuck has really changed my way of thinking, more so than One Piece ever did.  It's weird. Admitting this makes me feel like I just did something illegal.

But I can't stop. I still love One Piece. Never giving up on it, but... Homestuck... I can't explain it.


 http://thankyou-homestuck.tumblr.com/

Please go to this page and read at least the first three or fours posts. Those made me want to finally write this update. Some are really emotional and I can relate.
But if you're anything like me, you'll be reading this site the rest of your night.

Homstuck really changes people.

There have been so many emotional sayings in Homestuck. Like when Dave said,
Im not a hero
My bro was
John is
Im not

Or when Eridan said,
It's hard
Being a kid and growing up
It's hard and nobody understands

It's something that I feel that I need in my life, especially right now. It helps me cope. It helps me relate. It just helps.

I'm not saying it's for everyone. Some can't handle the challenge what Homestuck brings, but to those that want to read challenging stuff and want the adventure and the feels, go ahead and start reading at mspaintadventures.com
Once you get to act 5, your life will forever be changed.

8 comments:

  1. Good news.. We have to hear about this Homestuck nexr 17 years of our lives Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news! I'm actually sowing Homestuck related stuff on my clothes. So not only will you have to hear about it, but everytime you're spending time with me, you'll be seeing it. Everywhere.

      Delete
    2. Also, fuck you. :) just fuck you.

      Delete
  2. N'awww, that's so cute:) Go and suck you Homestuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kairit, just how are we going to survive? And how do you know it is only 17 years. For all we know it could easily last for the rest of our lives!

    Anni, how could you betray One Piece like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Anni, how could you..

    Like it's a question or something..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you guys are making it sound like a joke. Fucking awesome. Kind of makes me feel like there's a huge gang of hippos running towards me, ready to take a shit on me... Right about... NOW!

    Fuck you guys for taking this as a joke.

    ReplyDelete